The museum was designed to not only ensure visitor accessibility and education but also to achieve LEED Gold certification, so sustainability considerations proved critical.
Standing 305 feet tall, Lady Liberty is one of the most recognizable figures in the world. In fact, she attracts 4.5 million visitors each year from around the world. But,entrance to the Statue of Liberty often times requires a four-month advanced ticket purchase and an arduous 27-story climb to the crown.
To enable wider access to the Statue of Liberty’s story, TheStatue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation commissioned the 26,000-square-foot Statue of Liberty Museum which opened in May of 2019. It includes an immersive theater,and two galleries where visitors can revel in an up-close view of the statue’s original torch, which was replaced in the mid-80s following a century of rainwater leakage that caused irreparable damage. A dramatic roof terrace provides unobstructed views of Lady Liberty and the Manhattan skyline.
Accessibility and Sustainability: Critical Design Factors
The museum was designed to not only ensure visitor accessibility and education but also to achieve LEED Gold certification, so sustainability considerations proved critical. A planted roof incorporates native vegetation that insulates the building by capturing and filtering stormwater and the grounds are rich with native meadow grasses that create a natural habitat for wildlife and migrating birds.Needless to say, energy efficiency was a critical design consideration. The enclosure of the museum includes a low window-to-wall ratio, highly insulated walls and extensive thermal bridge mitigation.
ASSA ABLOY Products Installed
Architect FXCollaborative specified several ASSA ABLOY branded products for a portion of exterior openings and high-traffic mechanical spaces, including:
- Mercury thermal break frames with Pemko seals from Ceco Door which are designed with a separator material that is highly resistant to thermal conductivity. These frames significantly reduce energy costs by blocking heat or cold penetration
- Corbin Russwin ML2000 Series mortise locks meet the rigors of high-traffic applications with heavy-duty components and a precision-engineered spring design. Because they are available in a wide range of trim designs and finishes, they uphold the project’s design aesthetic.
- Corbin Russwin ED5200 Series exit devices have been independently tested for cycle and strength and exceed ANSI/BHMA Grade 1 standards for long life.
- Norton Door Control 7500 Series door closers are ANSI/BHMA A156.4, Grade 1 certified and designed to comply with requirements for the Americans with Disabilities Act and ANSI standard A117.1 for accessible buildings.
This article was written and originally published by Assa Abloy.
WSS Integrated Technologies is a proud partner of Assa Abloy.
- Axis Provides Pediatric Patients Extra TLC. - March 31, 2022
- School District Increases Safety And Reduces Its Carbon Footprint. - March 31, 2022
- Cost vs. performance: TrueAlert ES is the best of both worlds. - March 25, 2022